Return to PTO Membership

VIPs (Volunteers in Public Schools)

Before volunteering at Pershing Middle School in any capacity or accompanying your child’s class on a field trip, you must register as an HISD Volunteer!

VIPs (Volunteers In Public Schools) are HISD volunteers. Each year, thousands of parents, students and community partners support HISD students and teachers by volunteering their time. VIPs represent all economic, ethnic and educational backgrounds. They are caring adults or children, who tutor students, serve as classroom assistants to teachers, provide enrichment and hands-on experience with computers, work in the library, clinic, office, cafeteria, and provide other support.

This year, Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS) is implementing an Online Volunteer Orientation along with a new version of the RAPTOR Volunteer Management System. Thesechanges are designed to inform volunteers of important rules and guidelines for working with students and improve the volunteer application process.

How can I become a VIPs?

All volunteers must register online. All volunteers must pass an annual criminal background check before they can participate as a volunteer. Please follow the steps below to become a VIPS:

Step 1:

Log on to the VIPS website. Once at the website you will be prompted to take our new online volunteer orientation. Register online.

Step 2:

Volunteers will complete the training, review and sign all forms (VIPS Code of Ethics, Code of Civility, and Confidentiality Statement).

Step 3:

After the orientation, you then need to complete the VIPS Online volunteer application and agree to the Annual Background Check. The Background Check will take 3-5 business days to be processed.

Step 4:

Once your application is APPROVED you will receive an email from Raptor notifying you of your status. You will be given the option to create a volunteer portal account. Now you are set to volunteer at any HISD school for the 2020/2021 year!!

Step 5:

Sign up for your volunteer shift.

What type of identification is accepted?

  • Texas Driver’s License
  • Official Passport
  • Texas Identification Card
  • Official U. S. Military ID
  • Driver’s License (issued by any state in the U.S.)
  • Matricula Consular
  • Identification Card (issued by any state in the U.S.)
  • Resident Alien Card

Our students benefit when we all volunteer!